Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Trying my hand at Cake Pops

CakePops - Plain & Decorated

Well this past Saturday I decided to break out the little BabyCakes CakePop Maker I bought a couple weeks ago.  I tell you I love this little thing.  Of course you have to do your research on what recipes are successful and which ones aren't, but I did find through reading a formula that works out quite nicely.


If you are using regular cake mix and not making from scratch the formula is as follows:

2 C of cake mix (any brand)
4 Tbsp of melted butter
1/2 C of water or milk (depending on box instructions on which liquid to choose)
1 egg

Please be aware that the "batter" will be quite thick, when you see it you might think it can't be right, but trust me it is.  It is very hard to stir so if you are using your hands you will feel quite a bit resistance.  If you have a hand mixer it works well at low speed because as I said before it is very thick.  I actually added a couple more tablespoons of water to help "loosen" up the batter a bit so I could get the remaining "powder" to blend.

The directions suggest adding 1 tablespoon of batter into each well.  I found with the thickness of the formula above, you don't need that much, if you add just under one tablespoon you should be good to go.  The 1st batch I did started to bake before I had a chance to finish filling all 12 wells, but it was fine. Once you have all your batter in the wells, close and lock your CakePop Maker and in 4 minutes you will have some delicious little bites of cake ready for decorating.

The coating of chocolate is a whole other story I, burned about 1 1/2 lbs of melting chocolate because I didn't follow the directions. Note to self: READ DIRECTIONS.  I tried to melt at full power in the microwave for 1 minute and all that got me was some disgusting looking curdled chocolate. Yuck!!!  So my tip to you. if using the microwave use 50% power for 1 minute then 15 second intervals until chocolate fully melted.  I still found the chocolate to be too thick to dip so I would up swirling the cakepops in which came out okay, but I wanted the smooth look I see picture of on the internet.  They suggest adding a couple teaspoons of Crisco Shortening to help smooth it out, but I didn't have any of that so I had to wing it until I go shopping.

I tell you what these little things can be very addicting, even if you are like me and don't bake.  I will be baking from now on especially with the holidays right around the corner. My co-workers are going to love me :-).

Okay back to why I made them...one of my co-worker's birthday was coming up and I wanted to do something really nice for him because he's had a rough few months with illness and death in his family. He likes to eat and loves to fish (he has brought me the freshest red fish ever) so to return the favor, I made him some cakepops & a fish themed birthday card.

The cakepops were displayed in a box I created in Make-The-Cut Software using the text to path and new node editing tools and the card was created using fonts and some Lettering Delights Cut-It sets.

Birthday Gift


Until next time...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cheryl-TeeDee Bakes Sig

No comments:

Post a Comment